Background

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fire in the Oven!

I had so many titles for this post while the event was happening, but this title won. Read on and you'll see why.

I don't see how the weeks keep getting away from us. Tomorrow is Halloween and our pumpkin still sits on the front porch untouched. Nathan reminded us that we still needed to carve it so tonight was the night. We ate dinner and began the ritual.

Nicholas really wanted to cut the pumpkin, but we told him we had to clean it out first. He was VERY upset and didn't want to have ANYTHING to do with the gooky guck inside the pumpkin. He got angry at Chris when he dropped a pumpkin seed on his shirt. Nicholas said "I hate pumpkin seeds" as he was crying. I think he is traumatized for life!









Nathan didn't mind at all. He liked pulling it out. Then when it was time to cut the pumpkin Nathan enjoyed pushing the cut pieces out. They were very anxious to help though and kept putting their little hands in the pumpkin as Chris was cutting. Yikes! Fortunately no limbs were lost in the carving of our pumpkin.

This is the finished product. We used one of those pumpkin carving kits. I can't believe how easy it is to cut with those. I remember fighting with paring knives and having them get stuck in the pumpkin. These new little sawing blades are great. You can't really see what the design is, but it's a ghost and below it says Boo. It looks really cute lit up with a candle.
But the best part of the night, hehe, was the pumpkin seeds. Chris cleaned them up and put them on our Pampered Chef stone and put them in the oven. They were yummy, but for some reason he put them back in the oven to broil. I started to smell smoke and opened the oven and they were smoking. Then they burst into flames!!! It was pretty scary and I told Chris to get the fire extinguisher and thought about what the fireman told me at fire safety day "Call 911 first. Most people think they can put the fire out themselves, but it gets out of hand quickly."

It kept lighting into flames and then Chris would blow it out and then it would light up again. Fortunately we finally got it out. The kids got scared, well Nathan did, but I think Nicholas thought it was cool. Fortunately our stove didn't go up in flames. The house was filled with smoke though so we had to air it out by opening the doors and windows while it's just 35 degrees outside. Brrr.....

2 comments:

mumsey said...

Perhaps Nicholas thought it was like a camp fire and roasting marshmallows?
Things like that do happen and fortunately you and the boys had just been to a fire prevention open house.
Can't wait for next year to see if you will again "roast pumpkin seeds". They really are good when roasted.

Becca said...

BUMMER! I am glad you got it out! I LOVE cooked pumpkin seeds, but I am looking at these ones, and I am thinking they don't look too appatizing..hehe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails