Background

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Take a Hike!

It wasn't sunny out today, but it wasn't raining so we decided to take the boys for a hike on a trail in Concord. Chris had taken the boys on the Oak Hill Trail previously. The yellow trail leads to a fire tower and took us about an hour to get there and another 45 to get back. We stopped a few times to take photos in trees and other spots. There were a few small wooden bridges over streams and they called them the Ugly Old Troll bridges. The boys got tired and wanted to be carried about 3/4 of the way into it. Nathan kept saying he wanted to take a rest and have a snack. We told them once we got to the fire tower we would rest and have a snack. We also gave them the option of turning around and going back before we got to the tower. They decided they wanted to keep going because the fun was seeing the fire tower. Nicholas had not been to it before.

The ground was very wet and we had to watch out for mud. We've had so much rain lately that I'm surprised the trail hadn't been washed away! Nathan was noticing everything like tree stumps and leaves. It was really amazing how he was looking all around him and taking it all in. Chris kept emailing people on his Blackberry. He is so addicted to that thing.

I told the boys I was proud of them for not quitting and making it all the way to the fire tower. They really wanted to go to the top of the tower to look around, but a man had just come down and said the stairs were slippery and also that there wasn't much of a view because of the fog. I decided to let them go up the first set of stairs as a reward. It was very steep, but they were careful.
Going back down was quicker because it was primarily downhill. They kept asking how much longer it would be to the end so Chris told them to count how many yellow trail markers on the trees to the end of the trail. Chris said he thought it would be 37 and Nathan said 34-37. That really kept Nathan's interest for the rest of the walk. He counted 34 markers! Nicholas kept falling down and he was so funny because he'd roll onto his back and put his hands up in the air. He didn't want his hands to be dirty. He'd try to get up without using his hands, which was hysterical, or I'd help him out.

3 comments:

Krystina said...

That last picture of you and the boys is the best. I love it!! I'm so proud of you for going even when it was muddy. Not sure I would have been so adventurous!

Brian said...

Great story. Reminds me a bit of the hike we took in Woodside earlier this year with the Trudelles and the tower reminds me of our hike in Hungary last year.
The boys are really growing, and I love these family outings!

Becca said...

I am so jelous right now! That looks beautiful! That would be a lot of fun! You do so many fun things with your boys...you are such a sweet mommy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails