November 21, 2012
Today I brought Nemo into
Cilley Veterinary Clinic because on Saturday I had noticed he has lost a lot of
weight. The vet said he has lost 4 pounds. We hadn't seen him eat recently either
and this morning he was acting very lethargic. Nathan and Nicholas made a
special room for him in the bathroom with his water dish, food dish, his bed,
scratching board and toys. Poor Nemo just wanted to lay there though.
The vet called me on my way to the gym and told me Nemo is very sick. She said he is diabetic and his
body is in shock from it going untreated. She told me he might not get better,
but he would need to go to the emergency animal hospital for a four day stay
and then get two insulin shots a day for the rest of his life. It was very
upsetting news. We decided that we couldn't afford to spend the money on his
emergency stay since I do not have a job. In the afternoon we all met at the
vet, including my Mom, and said our goodbye's. Nicholas was inconsolable. He
was sobbing and talking about how sad Nemo looked. It was so difficult to
watch. He was incredibly upset like I have never seen him before.
Nathan got choked up and had some tears off and on, but I felt like he
didn't want to show his emotions. We got plenty of time to pet Nemo and take some pictures
before the Dr. came in to explain what would happen. The boys and Chris left
the room and Mom and I stayed to be there with Nemo.
The boys decided to bury
Nemo at Grammy Dean's house where Pepper and Tasha are buried. PaPa made a wood
casket and Nathan drew on it with chalk. Chris dug the hole and we said
goodbye. It's in those quiet moments at night when I see his empty bed that I
get choked up and really miss him. I know the boys do too. He was the one cat
that the boys could pet and pick up and he wouldn't run away.

No comments:
Post a Comment