October 1, 2012
Today at 3:45 my boss stopped by and said "Come down to my office in like five
minutes, no in two minutes. You don't need anything, just come down." I
was on my computer and a minute later it just shut down. When it restarted I
tried to log in and I got a message that said my account had been disabled. I
immediately called my good friend and coworker Jenn and told her I thought I was being fired or laid
off. She said "No!". I explained what happened and she told me to let
her know.
I went into his office
and the president of the company was sitting there. He asked how
I was doing and I told him about my computer. I sat down and he said effective
immediately my position was being eliminated. He said it had nothing to do with my performance.
I went back to my office
in tears and on the walk I knocked on the wall of Jenn's cube. She knew what
that meant. When I got back to my office I actually laughed because there were
three cardboard boxes sitting on the floor. I packed everything I could think
of, but hadn't saved any of my files or work. I had to give back my iPad. I was
very calm and laughing and being kind to Frank as I packed my boxes. I can't
believe eleven years of stuff fits into three boxes.
Jenn and my former boss helped me
out to my van. He gave me a hug and told me if I needed a reference or
anything to let him know. Then I gave
Jenn a hug and got in the van and drove off for the last time. I called Chris
on the way home to tell him and I started crying.
It didn't take me long to
understand that this was the answer to my prayers. I had been praying for
months now about what to do about my job. I needed guidance. I didn't want to
take a risk and leave a job that I was comfortable with even though I was
unhappy. I truly believe that God answered my prayers by making it happen for
me. And to be honest I couldn't be more thankful. This is a good thing for me
and for my family. Yes it's going to be tough financially, but if I know
anything it's how to be frugal. In the meantime the kids come home to the house
now after school and I get to spend more time with them.
I'm not angry with
the company, but it still stings. The first time I went to the gym after
it happened and seeing former co-workers was stressful. My heart was beating,
but everyone was very nice. And some of my former co-workers from a competing divisions marketing department sent me this beautiful flower
arrangement.

No comments:
Post a Comment