They also have a cat that the grandmother adores so I figured if they have a hard time feeding themselves they probably have a hard time feeding the cat too so I got something for the kitty too.
Background
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Giving Back
There is so much negativity in the news and each day you hear about more and more people losing their jobs or homes. I feel so fortunate to be able to pay my bills and to be working. Well, sometimes when my alarm alarm goes off in the morning I don't feel very fortunate, but really I am. I decided to adopt a less fortunate family to sponsor for the holidays and asked around work to see if anyone wanted to join me. I contacted The Moore Center, which helps individuals with developmental disabilities. Several of us got together and most people gave me money so today I spent three hours shopping for our family. It's a grandmother who lives with her hard working son who has custody of his two boys, 4 and 6. They struggle at this time of the year to put food on the table. Well, $200 later and we will be giving them lots of food to fill their cupboards plus a $50 gift card to buy a turkey and other perishable items for Christmas dinner. And a few gifts for Christmas morning.
A few other people shopped this weekend on their own and we'll add that to these items too. It felt so good to do this and as I was being cut off with grocery carts and driving around looking for parking spaces I had a smile on my face. That's right, I was happy because I knew I was helping.

They also have a cat that the grandmother adores so I figured if they have a hard time feeding themselves they probably have a hard time feeding the cat too so I got something for the kitty too.
They also have a cat that the grandmother adores so I figured if they have a hard time feeding themselves they probably have a hard time feeding the cat too so I got something for the kitty too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What I really love about you Marcia is that you are so selfless. I am very proud of you for adopting a family with your co-workers.
Miss you!
That is so awesome! I know I already said that, but I love that you guys are doing that!
Wow, that is wonderful and heartfelt to read. That is probably the best or second best $200 you'll spend this year. Maybe plane tickets will be a tad better.
Post a Comment