Background

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

SAP Costumes

February 16-19, 2012  

This is SAP hell week. SAP is the Students Actors Program at Beaver Elementary School. Why do we call it hell week? Because the kids have SAP every night of the week and in four days they put on five performances and we have to be there for them all. I volunteer to help with costumes which means coming in on Saturday afternoons to start getting costumes for the kids ready. We don't sew anything other than alterations, we just pull from bins of donated clothing, have the kids try them on, label them and hang them on a rack for their scene. The dress rehearsal is on Wednesday night and then Thursday morning is the first performance for the school. Then on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings are the performances for the parents and family.  We have to arrive two hours before the show and stay until the last costume is hung back up on the rack. Sunday morning we go over and clean up the dressing room (AKA school library) and pile up the costumes for washing. This also includes shoes which need to be paired and put back in the giant bins. This is quite an undertaking. The boys side:
 The girls side:
 Where we check costumes and add final pins and hats etc.

Once the kids have on their costumes then they go to hair and make-up and if they are in the first or second scene they get their microphones. Then they go to the music room where Mr. Hatab would give them his notes from the last performance and his veins would pop out of his neck if the kids weren't listening.


Last year was my first year being involved (only 3-5 graders can participate) and this year it was so much easier and I really enjoyed it. I looked forward to every show because I had gotten to know the kids better. I'm so glad I got to be a part of all of it.

1 comment:

Becca said...

I am glad you got to be part of it! That is awesome! I love it! It looks like hell week to me! I would cry if I had to do it...hehehe!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails