Background

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Force and Motion

March 18, 2010


I leave for my scrapbook weekend today and Nathan had an early morning field trip so I was able to chaperone. It was right in Concord at Project SEE at White Farm. Nathan asked me to ride the bus and sit next to him. It's so sweet that he still wants me to sit with him. The title of the lesson was Force and Motion. The teacher was great and she engaged the kids and got them to answer questions and add detail to their answers. I had a group of four; Samma, Jacqueline, Colby and Nathan. We went to four different rooms and did different experiments. First we were supposed to make observations and guess what we thought might happen. Then we performed our experiment and wrote down our answers.

The kids learned about gravity and friction and forces that push and pull. They put beads in little cups attached to a balloon to find out how many beads it took to pull the balloon to the ground.

Then they played with magnets and tested what would stick and what wouldn't stick to one.

They also learned about friction and what surfaces provide more friction and slow down an object being dragged across them. The final test was putting a car down a ramp and seeing how far the car would go after making the ramp higher and higher.

The kids were really great and I loved watching them learn and hearing the answers they would give. It's so much fun to see how their minds work. Their observations and predictions were fascinating.

1 comment:

Becca said...

How fun! I love going to school things with my kids! It is nice to see how they interact with others, and how they work together in teams! It sometimes is a bit overwhelming, but it is so much fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails